Again, another recipe that has been in my mum’s kitchen since before I can remember. All I know is this is the perfect fall dish! Nothing say Autumn like the aroma of apples cooking in the oven!
- 11/2 pounds of boneless pork cut into bite sized pieces
- 3/4 Cup diced onion
- 1tsp dried sage
- 3Tbs chopped parsley
- 1/4 tsp crushed thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 heaping spoons of flour
- 1/4 Cup dried bread crumbs
- 2 large peeled and chopped apples (enough for about 2 Cups)
- juice of half a lemon
- 4 Cups of your favourite mashed potato recipe
- Preheat oven to 325 and grease a medium sized casserole (that has a lid)
- combine the above listed ingredients and set aside
- In a separate bowl combine the apples with the lemon juice
- start layering! start with a layer of pork and then half the apples, another layer of pork, the remaining apples, and finally the last layer of pork.
- put the lid on the dish and pop in the oven for 1.5-2hrs.
- in the meantime make up your mashed potatoes
- when the pork and apples are done add the mashed potatoes on top and broil until golden brown
- let everything stand for 5-10mins before severing to ensure the juices are retained
I like to serve this with a nice big green salad on the side